Wednesday 23 May 2012

Cockroach brands

I hated the 80s. Wasn't that fussed about the 90s either. But I loved the 70s: the best decade, no matter what they say. 


Those of you who have been watching Dominic Sandbrook's BBC 2 series, The 70s, will have either been feasting on the smorgasbord of memories it has served up, or it will have had you staring at the box in wide-eyed disbelief – especially if you weren't around at the time. The 70s was a brand-propagating decade and, given the news of the last few days, Sandbrook's series and its timing seems very prescient indeed. 


Think 70s and you think Disco. Think Disco and I think of my Gran turning the radio off when Love To Love You Baby came on air. (Clearly a screen for her embarrassment dressed up as an act of parental care on my behalf.) Equally clear is the sight of her waggling her (always) dinnerlady-like smock-covered backside whenever Saturday Night Fever was blaring out: "nice lads." That Donna Summer and Robin Gibb should pass away in such close succession to each other seems as eerie as it is sad.


And I 'think once, think twice, think bike', because for me that COI film and the Chopper are intertwined, even though car drivers and motorcyclists were its intended audiences. Sad then that the designer of the Chopper, Alan Oakley, also passed away last week. My cousin Gail had the first one I saw  it was a green one and it caused a bigger stir on her street than the moon-landings did.


These are cockroach brands, because whatever happens they will always be around.



No comments:

Post a Comment