Wednesday 30 May 2012

I fell in love with an alien being


He is the one-man brand who was largely responsible for branding me. My life is contained and encapsulated within his prose. He is, and not just in my view, a wordsmith without peer.

I thought I was “the post-war glamour girl who was never alone.” I totally understood “the altogether ruder readers wives” having found ‘mucky’ mags under my uncle’s bed when making it.

John Cooper Clarke. He may mean nothing to some of you, but he means an awful lot to me. He showed me how words paint pictures and how to use words to bring those pictures to life. He taught me the importance of authenticity – both in delivery and what you are to others. His 1978 album Disguise in Love is the Scalextric of my life, professional and otherwise.

BBC4 are doing a thing on him tonight at 10pm. 
Watch it. You’ll learn a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment