Monday 28 January 2013

On being dumped...


What’s the worst thing that could happen to you? 
Leaving the loo with your skirt caught up in the top of your tights? (Once saw that happen to some poor soul in the very busy foyer of New Scotland Yard.) Finding a clump of hair in your breakfast mushrooms on the train? (Sure did, on the Pullman up to Preston. Ask Piers Rutterford. He was there.) Driving off with your purse on the roof of your car? (Did that once, from Safeway at Camberwell Green to home on Camberwell Grove – just like in the Nat West ad – and yes, people at bus stops were shouting and pointing at me and miraculously it was still sitting there when I got home.) Or phoning your (then) paramour, wonder why he’s out of breath, and then twig that he’s in the middle of sha*ging someone else? (Yep, it was a fair while ago, but another box ticked nevertheless.)
 
What’s the worst thing that could happen to you if you’re a designer, photographer, writer or a painter – indeed any profession where you are defined by your produce? And the answer is…you lose it. Guess what?
I just ticked another box.
 
Any designer will tell you that you collect a huge amount of stuff during the course of one year let alone 29. Pieces of print, direct mail, posters, invitations, packaging – and that’s just the finished ‘live’ stuff.  Add to that the roughs, mock-ups and the job bags pregnant with the ones that got away. If you’re similarly aged, then there will be a lot of paper from the pre-digital years. You like me will be in possession of your very own Museum of Was. Then there are the disks, floppy, Zip and so on. Where do you put it all?
 
Some years ago I struck-up a deal with a chap who owned a number of storage units in South London and I bedded it down in there, with Clever Dog as a comforter. I made visits now and then to retrieve things or to replace them and generally show my face. The last time I showed my face was about 6 months ago, but last week I decided to show it again only to discover that the chap had sadly died and that his units had been cleared out!
 
When I heard that I got that strange taste in my mouth, the one you get when you trip up on a flagstone or almost miscalculate the kerb and fall flat on your face – adrenaline – a whole keg of it. My archive!!!!
A little detective work revealed that this man had no family and there was no paperwork since it was a personal agreement, so the contents had either been sold or dumped.
 
Twenty nine years-worth of work, seven years of college projects, award certificates, mementoes of people and companies past, photographs (professional and personal) and 35m films and disks…all gone. All that remains is an A4 book of digital prints I had at home.
 
It’s a bit like trying to prove your identity when your passport is lost or stolen, because those pieces of paper, plastic and celluloid defined me. They provided the evidence to support the litany of activity presented on my CV. And each project was infused with memories of my working and personal life and laminated in Letraset, Cannon colour copies, rubylith, acetate, rendering, axonometric drawings, tracing paper and the rest.
 
Product + Personality.
Only one remaining.
So what now?
Start again. What else?
New balls please.


2 comments:

  1. That's dreadful Sue. It's what we all fear may happen but hope it never does. If there are any bits and bobs from the archive relating to FWL that I still have an archive copy of that you're missing please let me know. However I've lost a fair few along the way as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sue,
    My name is Davide, it’s unfortunate, I agree.
    Now, back to some reality. It's become apparent you slated some gentleman on Linkedin, which to be honest is a tad upsetting to say the least. Maybe you are upset, maybe you have some issues, but honestly, why would you go out of your way to tell this chap he is lying, when honestly, he was posting something, which was truly from his daughter and all about some fun.
    Why go to the trouble?
    Maybe you like being right? Or wrong in this case.
    Take some advice, you will not always be right, you, like all of us, are not perfect. We individuals all share a common goal in life, to live, have fun and enjoy some special moments. That special moment he had, was simply destroyed by your arrogance. Luckily, he has a brain and can see through all of this.
    You may feel you can turn your head away, ignore the responses on Linkedin, do, but it does not show you in good light does it. Stubborn, silly, arrogant.
    Maybe the grammar in this article is wrong, maybe my son wrote this. I guess you will make some snap judgment. Show some empathy and shame on you.
    You ay you don’t care about his response to your implied correction. Sorry it does not work like that, here is his response into your accusations.
    Here is the video for you. Shameful.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtWx9YIanXQ&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete