Monday 9 September 2013

TSB: Took Sign...Bollo*ks!

TSB Savings Account book.

So TSB is back on the high street today after 18 forgettable years as the back-end of the Lloyds horse and I have a confession to make.

Last Monday morning at around 5-ish I was making my way up Holborn. Being Monday, the street was awash with bags of rubbish and debris of all descriptions and as I approached the junction of Holborn and Kingsway I saw a TSB sign propped up against the wall.

Now TSB was the first bank I belonged to. I imagine that many of us got a savings book like the one above as a christening present, or as part of our school's 'financial awareness' programme and going into the bank to have my deposits of Ten Shillings on birthdays noted (in longhand) and stamped in my book made me feel very grown-up indeed. It's a 'starter brand', the fiscal equivalent of a Ladybird training bra. So when I saw the sign dumped and waiting for the bin men, I thought, 'I'll have that'. So I took it, but I was out on a run, so I walked back to the nearby McDonalds and they kindly agreed to look after it until I returned in an hour or so.

I set off again only to see that around the other corner of the building there were a couple of chaps putting up TSB signs and I'd just half-inched one of them. Ooooops! I explained all and went to retrieve and return the blessed piece of Perspex. Happily they saw the funny side.
That's my account.

I'm 93, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment