Thursday 29 March 2012

The first Virals?

Everything is new. Or is it? No. Of course it's not  no matter how much the poppets in the digital industries might tell you that it is. When you look back on your childhood, can you pinpoint the thing or time that made you you?

For me, it was around the time of Man About the House (1973 -) and I Claudius (1976) that I began to realize that some of the TV title sequences I saw made me want to watch the programmes and others didn't. I began to understand that this was no accident.

At the same time (and long before) I was playing the games that kids the world-over play: two-balls. You know. You chuck two-balls up against a garage wall, your house wall…anywhere there's a wall. We threw the balls to accepted rhymes, why they were and how they came to be I don't know, but they were about brands. At the time I had no idea what a brand was (it was just a word) or even less the impact they would have on my life.

"PK penny-a-packet. First you chew it then you crack it. PK penny-a-packet." 
And, "North, South, East and West. Cadbury’s chocolate is the best."

I have no idea how they came about. But they have stayed with me. And since so many kids did the same thing I think that they could possibly claim to be the first virals.

No comments:

Post a Comment