Saturday 13 July 2013

Sense and Sensibilities

Without UK rapper, Sense's, new take on, Ian Dury's, Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3, Vauxhall's ad for its Astra model would be meh!

It would be for the most part no more than the usual montage of people doing stuff in and outside a car, with a few kids, a dog and picnic accoutrements crammed in to illustrate its capacity. With lingering shots of the dash, shiny body work, spinning hubs and the all important golden angle.

Ian Dury and the Blockheads were and still are heroes of mine and indeed many, many others, which is why some will hate the very idea of anyone mucking around with this or any other of their tracks. I forgot to post this last week and as a result I've been able to read about the reactions to this 'sacrilege' but I think he would approve.

His life was devoted to subverting and challenging expectations and norms. A world-class wordsmith and musician who was in part defined by his refusal to be defined by his childhood Polio. So I think he would have liked this.

I think he would have liked the words.
I think he would have liked the delivery. 
I think it would appeal to his sensibilities.




No comments:

Post a Comment