Tuesday 15 October 2013

Rendered.

I am fortunate in being able to say that I did my BA at Ravensbourne, a place where (if nothing else) one learned an awful lot about type. Back in the Jurassic age we hand-rendered (that means draw type by hand using a Rotring pen over cell or tracing paper from a Monotype typesheet featuring the typeface of your choice) the type for our posters or whatever, which is unimaginable to those at the younger end of the scale reading this. Computers didn't exist then and photocopiers were at a premium, so we did everything by hand, or we used Letraset. Or we knocked out a bit of calligraphy. And we spent an awful lot of time learning how to set hot metal and then we used that. I love type.

Around London and other places, beautiful, grand and expensive houses, traditionally have sign written numbering and lettering. Some are superbly done and others less so. If you've ever watched a signwriter at work you'll understand my unabashed admiration for them. Walking through Mayfair yesterday I saw the following.

 
 



And then I saw this.
Rendered speechless!


There are no more words.

No comments:

Post a Comment